Can you Mix Power Supplies in a Cisco 4500 Series Switch?

shadowmac

I have a bad power supply in my Cisco 4507 which is 1300w and I was sent a 2800w power supply from Cisco and I am curious if I can pull out the bad 1300w and replace with a 2800w power supply and will the switch continue to work?

I have a bad power supply in my Cisco 4507 which is 1300w and I was sent a 2800w power supply from Cisco and I am curious if I can pull out the bad 1300w and replace with a 2800w power supply and will the switch continue to work?

Power Management for the Catalyst 4500 Series Switches

You can select from several different power supplies to ensure that you have enough power for the modules installed in your switch. The Catalyst 4500 series switches support the following power supplies:

•

blank.gifFixed Wattage—This power supply always delivers a fixed amount of inline and system power.

–

blank.gif1000W AC

–

blank.gif2800W AC—Supports inline power.

•

blank.gifVariable Wattage—This power supply automatically adjusts the wattage to accommodate inline and system power requirements.

–

blank.gif1300W AC—Supports inline power.

When you insert power supplies in your switch, use power supplies that are of the same wattage. If you mix power supplies, the switch will use the one it recognizes first; the other power supply is ignored. The power supply status displays as err-disable and the summary displays as all zeros (0) for wattage values in the output for the show power command.

The following example shows the output for the show power command for mixed power supplies:

gallery_1_14_20290.jpg

REFERENCE: Cisco