Linksys Cisco e3000 Review

wildweaselmi

My Apple Airport won't let me set the IP address to anything but private IP address space and because of the way how I VPN into other networks they require that I have my private network set to 16.1.1.0/24 if I want to access it while connected via VPN. So this is the long way of saying, the Apple Airport can't do what I need to do.

So I went to Staples and purchased the Linksys e3000 wireless router. In reading reviews of this router, the results were mixed. Some people loved it and others really thought it was pure crap.

I connected the wireless router and tried to use it in the default configuration and it was soooo slow. My internet connection (no matter if I was connected via Wireless or Ethernet) was horriblly slow, like to the point it wasn't even possible to use. I tried changing some settings in the wireless router and nothing seemed to work.

I did notice if I rebooted the wireless router I would have about a minute of fast connection speeds but then it slowed right back down. It is acting like a burst affect where it works good for a few seconds and then it slows down again.

So to eliminate the router (thinking maybe my comcast internet connection went to crap) I connected an older Linksys WRT54G and it is still kicking butt. No slowdowns.

I "may" have been too haste in posting this review. I hooked up my old Linksys WRT54G and am experiencing a similar issue (not as bad with slowness) when surfing with my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

For grins and giggles I tried surfing with my Linux box and no slowness experienced so it may be with my MacBook Pro. Going to try a couple of things and see if I can correct it, if not, I'll end up reloading it.