Ubuntu Server (i386) eBox/Zentyal Install

wildweaselmi

I'm a pretty big fan of webmin which has been running flawlessly on my CentOS installation but my customer likes the tens of thousands more applications on Ubuntu versus CentOS so they have requested to build a something similar on Ubuntu. This will be a recording of how I did it. Hardware is a HP Proliant DL380 G2 (of course that part shouldn't matter, I'm just giving the information which may help on why I am picking certain configuration parameters) What's the big difference between Ubuntu Desktop and Server? Biggest difference is no GUI on Server (since its a security risk) and Ubuntu server installs a server-optimized kernel by default. PreReq: Ubuntu Install CD (I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 server i386) Internet Access Ubuntu Install Instructions:

• Insert Ubuntu CD and boot from CDROM
  • Select Language (I'm selecting English) press enter
  • Select Install Ubuntu Server and press enter
  • Select Language for installation process (I select English) press enter
  • Select Your location/country (I select United States) press enter
  • Configure the keyboard, I select No (don't detect keyboard layout) press enter
  • Select Country of orgin for keyboard (I select English (US) press enter
  • Keyboard Layout (I again select English (US)) press enter ... this will begin loading additional components for a couple minutes
  • Configure the network, select your primary network interface if you have multiple network cards, press enter ... this will begin auto-detection of your network status
  • Enter Hostname of your server, press enter ... system will attempt to identify your location
  • Either accept the default physical location for your time zone or change to no and select manually
  • Partition disks, choose your method: Guided - use entire disk, Guided - use entire disk and set up LVM, Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM, Manual (I leave the default, Guided - use entire disk and set up LVM) press enter
  • If you have more than one logical disk, select which volume/disk you want the system to be installed on (I select the smallest logical disk for the operating system), press enter ... Installing the base system will take about 5 minutes
  • Set up users and passwords, Enter Full Name for first user and press enter
  • Set up users and passwords, Enter username for first user and press enter
  • Set up users and passwords, Enter password for first user and press enter
  • Set up users and passwords, Retype password for first user and press enter
  • Set up users and passwords, Encrypt your home directory (I select No) press enter
  • HTTP Proxy Information (if you have any, otherwise just press enter)
  • Configuring tasksel, do you want automatic upgrades (make your choice and press enter) (since this is an important server I am going to select No automatic upgrades)
  • Software selection, choose software to install (I choose: OpenSSH server and press enter)
  • Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk (I choose yes) press enter
  • Installation complete.. press enter to reboot your system
  • After reboot you see the command line to login, enter your username you created in step #15 and press enter
  • Upgrade any software on your system by typing sudo apt-get upgrade and press enter
  • Enter username password and press enter
  • Configure Network Card:
    sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

• Change from: iface eth0 inet dhcp TO iface eth0 inet static
  • add under that line: address 10.6.0.135
  • add under that line: netmask 255.255..255.0
  • add under that line: gateway 10.6.0.1
  • Exit and save file
  • Configure DNS Servers:
    sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

• Add as many nameservers as you have: nameserver 10.6.0.1
  • You may need to edit your hosts file:
    sudo nano /etc/hosts

• Restart network services:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

• Now you can connect remotely using ssh: ssh username@ipaddress example: ssh dhosang@10.6.0.135

Web Server Install
  • Install MySQL Database
    sudo apt-get install mysql-server

• You may receive a prompt to enter a mysql root user password, enter a password you won't forget and press enter
  • Add your static IP to bind MySQL to
    sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf

• Restart MySQL
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart

• Install Apache2
    sudo apt-get install apache2

1. apache2.conf: the main Apache2 configuration file. Contains settings that are global to Apache2.
    2. conf.d: contains configuration files which apply globally to Apache2. Other packages that use Apache2 to serve content may add files, or symlinks, to this directory.
    3. envvars: file where Apache2 environment variables are set.
    4. httpd.conf: historically the main Apache2 configuration file, named after the httpd daemon. The file can be used for user specific configuration options that globally effect Apache2.
    5. mods-available: this directory contains configuration files to both load modules and configure them. Not all modules will have specific configuration files, however.
    6. mods-enabled: holds symlinks to the files in /etc/apache2/mods-available. When a module configuration file is symlinked it will be enabled the next time apache2 is restarted.
    7. ports.conf: houses the directives that determine which TCP ports Apache2 is listening on.
    8. sites-available: this directory has configuration files for Apache2 Virtual Hosts. Virtual Hosts allow Apache2 to be configured for multiple sites that have separate configurations.
    9. sites-enabled: like mods-enabled, sites-enabled contains symlinks to the /etc/apache2/sites-available directory. Similarly when a configuration file in sites-available is symlinked, the site configured by it will be active once Apache2 is restarted.
Install Apache to MySQL module
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql

Restart Apache2
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Install PHP5 sudo apt-get install php5 libapache2-mod-php5 php5-cli php5-cgi php5-mysql php5-pgsql

Install ebox / Zentyal

ABORTING.. I installed from the CD and not impressed at all in comparison to webmin. You don't have near the functionality as webmin and since Ubuntu frowns or doesn't support having webmin on your Ubuntu installation I am going back to CentOS...